Financial Assistance

Financial support for graduate study at UC Davis is available in several forms: Financial Aid, Teaching and Research Assistantships, Fellowships, Scholarships, and Grants. There are different procedures for applying for each type of financial assistance. It is essential that you apply as early as possible for financial support.

Fellowships and Scholarships

These are awarded once per year for the following year based on academic merit. Applications are available online.

Final date for filing applications is usually January 15.

Awards are made as a mark of honor, primarily on the basis of scholarship and promise of outstanding academic and professional contribution. In evaluating applications, consideration is given to the extent and quality of previous undergraduate and graduate work, evidence of ability in research or other creative accomplishment, evidence of intellectual capacity, and promise of productive scholarship. Items to be included in this evaluation are: graduate grade point average, academic transcripts, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and other documentation, such as publications and awards.

The minimum cumulative graduate grade point average required for a stipend or in-state fee award is 3.0 (A=4.00); for a nonresident tuition fellowship the minimum GPA is 3.0. The minimum required grade point average to hold an academic appointment is 3.0. Financial need or the availability of other sources of support in your graduate program are not relevant to the evaluation of academic merit. However, financial need may be an additional criterion for some fellowships. Financial need is a component of the eligibility criteria for many fellowships, and for all forms of financial aid (including work-study).

If you need advice or information concerning federal financial aid call 752-9246 or send email to

NOTE: Graduate students who are US citizens, permanent residents or immigrants are required to file a "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA) as early as possible, but no later than March 1. This form, submitted directly to the Federal Student Aid Program Office, Iowa City, Iowa, is used to determine financial need only. Financial need is a component of the eligibility criteria for many fellowships, and for all forms of financial aid. The FAFSA may be obtained online or from the Financial Aid Office.

Dissertation Year Fellowship

This is a one-year fellowship open to continuing doctoral students who are in the final stages of their doctoral work demonstrating strong potential for university teaching and research. It includes a stipend of $16,000 for the dissertation year, plus fees, a research allowance of $500, and up to $470 for travel to other UC/CSU campuses to present their research. You may download and print the application for the Dissertation Year Fellowship or obtain one from the Office of Graduate Studies. You must submit your application to the Graduate Staff Coordinator/Advisor, Caroline Eikenbary (1249 Meyer Hall) by JANUARY 15. Please refer to the Graduate Studies web page for specific information on this fellowship.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

TAs and RAs can afford you an excellent opportunity to gain invaluable experience in areas important to your graduate education and to receive financial support at the same time. Information and application materials for Teaching Assistantships are available from the department in which you wish to teach. Information and application materials for Graduate Student Research Assistantships are available from the department in which you want to work. Work-study Research Assistantships are awarded by the GGNB. Please indicate to the GGNB Fellowship Committee Chair your interest in obtaining a work-study appointment, and verify your eligibility through filing the above-mentioned FAFSA. Graduate Studies has a listing of openings for TAs and RAs that is available online.

Research Mentorship Program

The program provides research assistant support to PhD students who are in the early stages of their graduate research. Recipients will hold a 50% research assistant appointment for up to one year (you may apply for a second year). You may download and print the application for the Research Mentorship Program or obtain one from the Office of Graduate Studies. Submit application by JANUARY 15 to the Graduate Staff Advisor. More information is available about the Research Mentorship Program.

Jastro Shields Graduate Research Scholarship

The program makes awards to students with outstanding research proposals who are either in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences or who are working with a major professor with an appointment to the Agricultural Experimental Station. Awards are available in the summer. Applications are usually due in spring quarter. The amount of the award is based upon the allocation given to the group by the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.

UCD Humanities Graduate Research Award

The program gives up to $1,500 for financial support of research for masters or doctoral students. The application deadline is in winter quarter. More information about the UCD Humanities Graduate Research Award is available.

American Society for Nutrition (ASN) Graduate Research Travel Award

This award is based on abstracts submitted. Applications are available with the FASEB packet each year. More information about the ASN Graduate Research Travel Award is online. 

Fulbright Grants for Graduate Study Abroad and Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program

The Fulbright Grants for Graduate Study Abroad and the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program are administered through the Graduate Studies office in Mrak Hall. The campus deadlines for these awards are usually in fall quarter. More information about Fulbright can be found online.  The purpose of the Fulbright scholarship program is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge and skills. Full grants provide round trip travel, maintenance for the tenure of the award, a research allowance, and tuition waivers, if applicable. Travel grants provide round-trip transportation to the country of study. Selection is based on the applicant's academic or professional record, language preparation, feasibility of the proposed study project and personal qualifications.

Office of Research

The Office of Research has funding information on their web site.

Graduate Student Travel Awards

Graduate Student Travel Awards are available for travel to professional meetings. There are fall and spring awards.

Graduate Studies

Graduate Studies has information about funding on their web site.